Reflections. Celebrations. Life.

Reflections. Celebrations. Life.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Are you sure?

My son has the most incredible, special feet there ever were. His little toes are so adorable. I love how soft and sweet the are. And when he runs, sometimes my eyes well with tears of gratitude. 

"For we live by faith, not by sight."
-2 Corinthians 5:7

Today we met with his orthopedic doctor. Our first visit in a year. As we entered the elevator to the office, I looked over at my husband and referenced the many times in Hudson's first few months of life we had been in that very space. Anxious for what would be. 

I can't help but to tell you that I was anxious today about our appointment. We experienced so many unknown things when Hudson was first diagnosed with clubbed feet. It was as if all of those feelings came rushing back. 

But today was different. Today, the doctor looked at us and said [jokingly],

"are you sure this boy had clubbed feet?" 

As if to say, his feet are so perfect now that he just couldn't believe his feet had been so deformed at birth. 

I realize now that Hudson having clubbed feet at birth was like literally one of the more mild issues we could have dealt with as brand new parents. But I also remember the despair I felt for my child when he was born and began to have his feet casted every week. 

There are so many parents experiencing challenges with their brand new little ones that can be SO scary in those first few months, and you just feel like you have no idea how you will make it through. Not only do you adjust your sleep schedule, but your body (as a new mama) is going through some wacky changes and things in general. Then to top it all off, you have this child who depends on you for it's every need. It can be a bit much for two people to handle. 

I remember what our orthopedic doctor and his physicians assistant said to us in our first ever consultation with them. It struck me then and it still strikes me when I think back on it. 

I was a hot mess in that doctors office that day. I was a 20ish weeks pregnant woman who had just been told her child was going to have bilateral clubbed feet and would need lots of treatment in order to even be able to walk, let alone run or dance [like he does so BEAUTIFULLY today]. I was thinking about all of the things we would face as new parents with a child who had clubbed feet, and I was on the verge of tears through just about the whole thing. And then the PA looked at me and said so very honestly, 

"you just worry about your baby, we are going to take care of his feet." 

If the tears weren't flowing before that point, they were then. 

And I kind of think sometimes that is what God is saying to us [in a round about way]. You just keep on going, I'll take care of the rest. 

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear.  Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds in the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable then they?"
-Matthew 6:25-26


Oh boy, I got a dose of a reminder today in that office again. Two years later. We are blessed. OH so blessed. And God, the Lord of Lords, the King of Kings, Alpha and Omega, He is oh so GOOD. 

No comments:

Post a Comment